Sunday, April 10, 2016

Decompression Sunday - A Morning Meeting Instead of Church

For the first Sunday in a long time, other than for illness, I didn't attend church.  The reason being last Sunday was the final service at our over 100 year old church.  The Presbytery of Greater Atlanta closed us because we had a small congregation and weren't "thriving" according to them.  And, unfortunately, in the Presbyterian Church, USA the Presbytery owns the property.  The thing I'm going to miss most, other than our beautiful sanctuary, is the acceptance.  That's because this is the church that accepted me as a member in 2000 despite knowing I am transgender.  It's also the church that ordained me as an Elder in 2001 despite knowing I'm transgender.

So today many of us met at a coffee shop around the corner from the church to kind of decompress.  I shared with everyone that we were getting ready to mail my coming out trans letter to family and of course got so much support and love.  I'm going to miss that also.

No comments:

Post a Comment