Monday, September 5, 2016

How I talked to the doctor about the orchiectomy

I realized I never talked about the initial conversation with my urologist about the orchiectomy.  He had been treating me for orchalgia (chronic testicle pain) and had done a nerve block to see if that would stop the pain.  The night of the nerve block I was saying crap that hurts but the next day was fine.  While it worked for a few weeks, the pain came back.  About a week or so after the nerve block I had my appointment with the therapist where she recommended the orchiectomy along with HRT.  She was going to recommend me to a surgeon here in town who will do the orchi with a therapists letter but I mentioned I wanted to approach my doctor first.  At the previous appointment he had said something about having to do a removal of part of the testicle if the pain persisted.  I made the comment that, at my age, I wasn't that worried about it which is when he said, "Yes but your wife still wants a husband, not a sister."  I was laughing so hard I was about to fall off the table and my wife was giggling.  So I decided to use that as my opening at the next appointment.  I asked if he remembered the remark and he said he did so I launched into my explanation of being trans and that my wife has long had a "sister" so to speak.  I told him the recommendation from my therapist for the orchiectomy and that she was going to refer me to another surgeon but I wanted to speak to him first.  We talked about it a little more and he agreed, with a letter from my therapist to do the surgery.  One thing we did talk about was insurance.  He said he would write it up as high cancer risk in the right side and a chronic epididymitis, a chronic inflamation that sometimes has no known cause on the left side, both of which were true.  Antibiotics would clear mine up for a week or two but then the pain was right back.  But writing it up this way for the insurance company and not mentioning transgender would allow insurance to pay for it.  And they did.  Out of a several thousand dollar bill for surgery, a surgical theater and recovery, I think I paid less than $100.  Not a bad price considering a local doctor charges something like $5000 and doesn't take insurance!

The day of the surgery, we got there about 8:30, I was in for surgery 10:30, woke up in recovery around noon and leaving around 1.  I was hungry and not hurting so we stopped and got something to eat.  To go of course since I really wasn't up to going in for a sit down meal but we did sit at the table at home and eat with no problem.  Although I did sit down gingerly.  But I sat and ate before I went and laid down.  One thing that apparently comes with castration is leakage from the incision. You'll be wearing a maxipad for more than a week.  I really NEVER thought I would hear my wife ask me if I had check my maxi-pad and if there was too much blood, had I changed it?

No comments:

Post a Comment