Thursday, December 17, 2015

Therapy Results

Well, I had my first appointment with my therapist yesterday.  I have to say I'm still in shock!  Before I go any further, let me note that I've known and been good friends with my therapist for 15 years.   So we didn't need to do any of the "get to know you" sessions most therapists require.  Basically what she pointed out is this.  My entire life, I have put other people's needs in front of my own.  When I was a child and a teenager,  my parents both worked so I did a lot of the housework and such.  That way my mother could spend as much time as possible with my disabled brother.  When my wife and I were married, I tried to bury my transgender side (didn't work) putting her needs ahead of my own.  The same when our son was born, I put their needs ahead of my own as it should have been.  When he went to college, my wife went back as the person I took care of.  When she had surgery and ended up paralyzed, I took care of her after she spent a month in the hospital learning to walk again.  When my mother developed dementia, instead of putting her in a nursing home, I became the caregiver for her and my brother for eight years and they lived at home until they passed away within a couple of months of each other.  So my therapist said it's time I put my needs to the forefront.  She pointed out also, much of our health does depend on our happiness and "you're not happy!"  So what are we doing?  She is referring me to an endocrinologist and will write my letter to begin HRT!!!!  She also mentioned since at my age we're not planning on starting another family and so that I don't have to take androgen blockers she will also write a letter to a surgeon here for an orchiectomy.(If you don't know what that is, look it up.)  I told a friend who transitioned years ago all of this last night.  Her response was she knew it all the years she's known me, she just wondered how long I could grit my teeth. LOL

The most amazing thing is my wife.  When we sat down and talked last night and I told her the results from the session, she was fine.  I know for a fact that she has some issues that she won't talk about with me but I'm insisting on her seeing someone to talk to.  Since we belong to a very LGBT friendly church (our pastor is L) my wife is going to sit down with her and talk.

2 comments:

  1. As an Atlanta sister, I look forward to reading about your journey.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Susan. I've been enjoying your blog. I said one friend wondered how long I could grit my teeth. Another long time transitioned friend called me this morning. When I broke the news to her, she said, "It's about friggen time you woke up."

      Delete